How Art Empowers

I was about 6 years old and it was a regular Sunday night in the Kulikowski house hold - Let me draw you a picture.

My Uncle Mario and Pop came over for our annual weekly dinner and they would never come over without gifts. Giving was their speciality and of course, we weren't complaining! L O L . That was when I received my first professional art kit. A sketch book, sketching tool box, crayons and markers, etc. Life was fantastic then. The only sad days that passed by were when I skinned my knees racing neighbors on my bike or playing baseball.  But art became my outlet, even then. Even 6 year olds have stressful circumstances they may face - whether elders think so or not.

I remember staying in two whole days during the summer (Which was a lot for me) and illustrating two of my own "Children's books". I was so proud of my artwork and so happy to show off my books to my family. Although, it wasn't until 4th grade when harder circumstances hit. That's when the bullying began.

I was always on the heavier side growing up, but I never experienced harsher words from kids my age until the 4th grade. From 4th grade through 6th, I would go home and cry myself to sleep alongside my mom who would pray with me that my pain would ease up and that students would realize the harm in their choice of words and laughter. Fast forward to 8th grade, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Alongside Epilepsy, came depression and not knowing who I truly was anymore -- Only my circumstances and what I allowed those circumstances to do to me.

Friends came and went, the bullying stopped, but the fear stayed put. One thing that stayed for the good, were my art supplies. My creative outlet.

God showed me how I could use the Arts to empower myself and empower others. The chemical imbalance in my body was facing during those times was released through art. One major trigger an epileptic faces is stress. My stress was released through my art as well. It became therapeutic and I didn't even know it.



As the days, months and years passed by, I began to I guess you would say, "Find myself." As cliche as that sounds, it was true. I was finding myself through each piece of work I created and why I was creating it. What I was an advocate for, what expressed my inner thoughts. My art also showed me that being different is more than okay. It's beautiful and owning that difference is even more beautiful. That is what makes renown artists like Vincent Van Gogh who they are.

Vincent Van Gogh battled Epilepsy through his life span and musician Beethoven did as well. As a pianist, an artist, I look over their lives and am inspired to be the difference in our world just like they are. In tiring days where I've had a seizure or just a rough day I have learned to run to my art.



I recently partnered with a friend of mine who is a photographer to show beauty through art. To show what it looks like to be empowered through the Arts! This very photo shoot and blog alone is meant to raise funds for Fearless Movement's Art Empowerment Programs.

Our goal is to provide a #FearlessThroughTheArts package for every child we come in contact with. Right now we're hosting an Art Drive for the children at the Boys and Girls Club of Gloucester County. If you would like to donate any art supplies possible (Crayons, pencils, sketch books, coloring books, etc.) Please contact us below!





There are about 137 children attending the B&G Club of Glassboro summer camp. Numerous students have asked for art supplies to bring home and many will go back to school in another town without this outlet. Be the hope to their future. Like their motto, "Great futures start here." Take part of that and help create their future.


Art supplies needed BEFORE August 22nd!

Today I leave you with this reminder: Regardless of what you're facing, Art can heal you. Take this outlet and run with it.

Instagram:@FearlessMovement
Twitter: @DROPFEAR_
Email: thefearlessmovement@gmail.com
Phone: (856)-558-2385

Comments

Popular Posts