The Christmas Wish That Came True

This year my Christmas wish was to be 4 months seizure free into the new year and to make a larger difference in the lives of those battling Epilepsy and fear.

On December 7th, I was informed that a family friend/student of mine from a Christian school I used to work at, had a seizure. My heart instantly fell in to pieces to think of this 5 year old boy who is always known to be an overly happy, energetic little boy, quickly consumed with such fear as he wakes up with paramedics around him. Once he had several test done, the doctor told his family he had an abnormal occipital lobe seizure which is recurring seizures beginning in the occipital lobe – the section of the brain located in the back of the head primarily responsible for vision. They then proceeded to talk about further tests, as in a 72 hour EEG.

While his mother and I spoke about what went on and how fearful this situation is to both his family and himself, we realized we could turn it into good for James...but not only for James. We could turn his situation around for all of the children who battle this condition, epilepsy related or not. As an energetic as a five year old boy can be, how could we keep him calm through a 3 day EEG and make him feel like a normal five year old? We would need a hero to come in and help us. But that was just it, a hero. We began shooting out ideas to each other how we can show James he can be a hero through this by showing strength and bravery. By simply having courage. 

                                 Tonight James came over to get his "Christmas gift" from me. 

Speaking with James, I explained that being scared is okay but there comes a point where we need to begin to be fearless and that is in spite of fear. Even though we spoke about fear, we also spoke about the strength he has been showing his family. That's what makes him a hero. By him going through a tough situation like this, but coming out stronger than a lion. While I was speaking with James, his mother told him that I had a seizure last night. She asked him, "Does Miss Ashley look any different? Does she look sick?" He said no.... And then she said, "See you don't either!" I then saw how he  realized he related to me and that uplifted his spirit.


 He is showing children his age that they can be strong too and just because they have a condition, disease, etc. It does NOT make them any different from any other kid their age -- in a negative way at least. Although in a positive way, their difference to other children gives them the chance to be a hero. I asked James as I pulled out the purple cape, "Would you like to be a hero?" His face light up with the biggest smile I ever saw. And at that moment, I realized my Christmas wish came true though by battling my disease and fears. That is, to make a difference, to show children they are not alone and to share that they can make a difference too. Even if they have to go through trialling times as I have been. Thank you James for helping me see that God has a plan for everything, you're my hero.

Because of this courageous boy and his amazing mother, we will now begin to make super hero kits to bring to children battling any diseases, conditions, etc. in local children's hospitals by you. If you would like to donate to help us achieve this goal of ours, please contact us today.

Twitter: (@DROPFEAR_) Instagram: (@Fearlessmovement) 
Email: (ashleykulikowski37@gmail.com)

May your Christmas be merry, and your days be fearless. 

Comments

Popular Posts