#ShareYourStory

                                                          #SHAREYOURSTORY...
















(Photography credits: Suziryanphotography.com )

One thing that has helped me through my diagnosis of Epilepsy, depression and anxiety, has been sharing my story to help enhance the lives of others. For awhile, I hated sharing how I felt. (At times, I still do.) I bottled it up inside until I would explode. That only held me back from great opportunities and relationships. It all started by being a victim of bullying. Once I was first bullied, I grew to be self conscious, insecure, depressed, anxious and most certainly fearful. 

Today I am thankful for the lessons I've learned through my battles and hardships, but also for those who have supported me and have guided me to bettering myself in every way possible. Having a support group, a friend you vent too, or family members, goes a long way. Seek for guidance and direction and you will soon enough, return to the happy self you've always wanted to be. 

Here are Three Important Facts about Bullying and Suicide.

  • Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
  • Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
  • According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying.                         
Here are Three Important Facts about Epilepsy.
  • Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in the brain caused by unusual nerve cell activity. That activity causes you to have seizures due to certain triggers.
  • Over 2.8 Million people are battling Epilepsy each year. 1 in 26 people will develop Epilepsy in their life span.
  • Epilepsy is a life threatening illness, causing SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy). 
If you are the bully, realize that words do matter and they do hurt. There is no such thing as "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." You may not be handing someone the empty pill bottle, the rope, or the gun, but you are an accessory to either their depression, or sadly their death. Most suicides stem from being bullied. If you are around someone being bullied and not defending them, you are just as bad as the bully. Stick up for your peers. The golden rule is still in tact...Do for others as you would have them do for you.

If you are being bullied, battling Epilepsy, any Chronic Illness, disorder, hardship or trial...
#ShareYourStory. Connecting with others was one of the major steps in to accepting my diagnosis and not allowing it to limit me, but also to grow out of depression, to realize who I am and that is great. You are great too. You are just looking through a shattered mirror someone else helped you create. Reaching out to others for help is thee best decision I've made thus far in these 19 years of mine. Do not be afraid, many people are here for you and love you. If theres anything I'm certain of, that is one. You matter. You are NOT alone.

Please contact thefearlessmovement@gmail.com if you need any advice in desperate times, while battling something, or just to simply talk. We are here for you 24/7 and most importantly, conversations are kept confidential.  

Stay strong, and Stay Fearless.

Xoxo,

Ashley Kulikowski
Founder and CEO of Fearless Movement

Comments

Popular Posts