Road to Miss New Jersey 2017

The past three-four months have been a dream come true. February 19th, I won the title of Miss Stars and Stripes and embarking on the journey to compete for Miss New Jersey! What a quick and long three months. How can they both?! Keep reading to find out! 


First week of being Miss Stars and Stripes I took my platform and non-profit to the next level – proposing the idea of making it mandatory for teachers to be CPR and First Aid certified at the Glassboro School District’s Board of Education meeting. It’s my duty as an Epilepsy Survivor and Advocate to ensure the safety of our students – Epilepsy related or not. I spoke with the woman in charge of the health department, had many phone calls and encounters – and proud to say it is NOW in the process of making that legislation come to life starting with the Glassboro School District! Next – the State of New Jersey. Following that I visited the West Deptford manor care and taught the residents how to create abstract art! I shared how Art Therapy helped me overcome challenges in life, including my Epilepsy and fear. It didn’t stop there.

Through out the past three-four months I have had at least 3 events/appearances a week advocating for the things I care most about – The fearful, epilepsy and art community. I have taught many children how to “Drop Fear, Gain Courage” in our school districts and to let art empower them! I’ve raised funds to find a cure for those battling Epilepsy and mentored many individuals who are currently fighting seizures every day. Going to Hospitals like Children’s Specialized Hospital in New Brunswick and giving out Art Empowerment packages filled with art supplies to only see that this is why I was created – To give the younger generation hope for their future, give them the gift of Art Therapy and to guide them in choosing faith over fear. 






Okay, to all who critique pageants saying it’s about “beauty”. Listen up. You know what I have to say? Yes, it is about beauty. But we’re not speaking about the same type of beauty. It has nothing to do with the outward appearance. But everything to do with the inward. There’s beauty in service. There’s beauty in intelligence. There’s beauty in our trials and there’s beauty at the end of that dark, dark tunnel. What I’m saying is, each contestant has a story to share through their reign. Whether it’s how they chose their platform, why they chose their talent, or why they are even competing. We are all competing for scholarship and the job of our dreams and I am proud to be a “pageant girl”.


The crown and title has given me many “open doors” of opportunity. Fearless Movement has expanded its horizon through the Miss America Organization and over 1,000 people have learned how to live fearlessly, regardless of their circumstances – especially in a fearful world. Just recently, I spoke with a little boy named Matthew. He’s a patient at a hospital I visited and was not very verbal. As I was pulling out art supplies to give him, I will never forget his facial expressions. His face lit up and he kept giving me the thumbs up with the biggest smile I ever saw. Then as I got to the sketch book and pencils, he whispered “thank you so much.” I said, “You’re welcome Matthew!!” He responded in a whisper again, “No you have to say you’re welcome so much!” We had a good laugh as we looked over all of the art supplies. I then taught him how to paint and just that opportunity alone, shows me this is what the Miss America Organization is all about. It’s not about the fancy gowns we get to grace the stage in. It’s about what we do with our titles, what we do with this organization, the change we’re making in ourselves and this world. 


If I walk out of Miss New Jersey with or without the crown, I will still be Ashley. I will still be a Miss America Organization representative. I will still be the founder of Fearless Movement and forever changed from being Miss Stars and Stripes and competing for my dream job. It was all worth it and I’m giving it my best shot.




To all of my sister queens competing with me this upcoming week, remember it’s not the placement you earn but the experience, the memories, the change YOU are making in this world. I am so proud to be a member of the 2017 Miss New Jersey Class. I can’t wait to kick off the week with you and to see each and everyone of you change the world together.



To all of my readers, know that if you have the courage to pursue your dreams, anything is possible. In order to have courage, you have to fight your fear. You have to be FEARLESS.

Acknowledge your fear, confide in someone who can be your accountability partner and overcome. I’m rooting for you!! It’s as simple as 1-2-3!

For God did not give you a spirit of fear, but of love, power and sound mind.
(2 Timothy 1:7)  

Xoxo,

Ashley Kulikowski

Founder of Fearless Movement

Comments

Popular Posts