#WorldMentalHealthDay

If you have not seen around Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or any other social media… Many have been posting #WorldMentalHealthDay. Which is in fact, today.

What you may not know, is how many people in this world that actually deal with a mental instability. Over 75 million people battle with mental illnesses in the US.

The severity is wide but nonetheless is each mental illness harder to face than the other. 

Each mental illness, takes time, advisement and hard work to overcome. 

I’m going to show you the raw me tonight. Are you ready?

I’ve promised myself with writing on fearlessmovement.org that I WILL most certainly, speak from my heart and show you the most genuine self of me. The me with no make up; the me without washing my hair for a couple days (ew, but let’s face it – we’ve all done it); the me whose bumming it tonight. This is a judgement free zone - So here it is.

Life is hard. Battling Epilepsy is hard. Battling seasonal depression is hard. Battling anxiety is hard. Becoming an adult is hard. Did I mention, LIFE IS HARD?

Mental Illnesses come in many different forms. Depression disorders, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, any MANY MANY MORE. And may I add, there are so many stinking stereotypes to every. single. one. It’s absurd. When I was battling depression to the point where I made a suicide attempt and hospitalized, I then was accused of different stereotypes from those who knew.

Accused of being dramatic. Accused of only doing it because of a recent break up. Accused of doing it for ATTENTION. (INNER SELF STILL SCREAMING ABOUT THESE STEREOTYPES)
I’ve also witnessed with my own eyes and ears, other’s stereotyping different friends of mine, or those I knew who had a mental illness, etc.

Let’s just make this clear -- It wasn’t because I wanted that dramatic attention or because of a recent break up. (My value isn’t, wasn’t and nor will it ever be placed in boys – Always Jesus but that’s another story for a different day. And if your value is, I am not judging nor will I ever.)

I was battling with it because I didn’t know how to deal with the circumstances and hardships I was faced with – My diagnosis of Epilepsy and the limitations I allowed it to place on my life.

But hey, I was looking for attention…but not that kind. The act of my suicide attempt was the voices inside of my head and my heart screaming “HELP ME. I CAN’T DO THIS ANYMORE. I CAN’T DO THIS ALONE.“

Because that was it. I was alone because I didn’t speak up.

That’s the problem with this world. We are so afraid to speak up because of the stereotypes that are placed on us with certain emotions, disorders, illnesses, etc. Why are we allowing our society to make us fear? Why are we allowing them to silence us?

I battled depression through out my life with being bullied for my weight as a child, to being diagnosed with Epilepsy and the fears and side effects that came along with it. I still battle anxiety each and every day, but it does not own me. My seasonal depression, does not own me. My illness does not own me. Society does not own me. MY CIRCUMSTANCES CERTAINLY DO NOT OWN ME.

Yes, there’s a silver lining to this. I am not known to be a pessimist. I am an optimist and for God giving me the choice to be that, I am forever blessed. The key to owning your bad day, to owning society, and in this case, your mental illness, is acknowledging what it’s taking away from your life and what it’s adding to your life. Just. Like. Fear. If we just take the moment every time we feel ourselves falling into depression, or oppressed with anxiety, or allowing society to define your moves and thoughts… and write out the pro’s and con’s… how much will we conquer? It may not conquer it all at first, but you will get there. You will become joyful. You will become content. Did you notice I didn’t say “happy?” Happiness fades. But true joy, will last. It brings contentment.

Today I challenge you to have a healthy state of mind by acknowledging what you're allowing to define you and how it’s adding to your life. Write that Pro and Con list. You are made for more in this world. You are made for something better than this. I challenge you to #ShareYourStory with someone…be that hope; be the light at the end of their dark tunnel. You can do this. If you have battled a mental illness like depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, etc… please go read our last two #ShareYourStory campaign posts. You will be able to relate, and realize you’re NOT alone.

UPCOMING EVENTS: 

Our BIG event for this month is a HALLOWEEKEND #PaintingForACure on October 30th, 3:30-6:30 at the Lil Art House in Pitman, NJ. (52 S Broadway) An adult + child package = $50. Adult separately= $35 and Child = $25. Refreshments included. (Share this flyer with your friends) LADIES DAY OUT or FAMILY FUN DAY :) 
Register by emailing @thefearlessmovement@gmail.com

Our “Fall” fundraiser is gourmet home made chocolate and salted caramel candy and lollipops!
$10 for ½ a dozen of the lollipops, $8 for ½ a dozen mini chocolate covered pretzels (2 in a bag – 6 bags) $12 for ½ salted caramel owl candy (3 in a bag – 6 bags) ($10 for the chocolate owl candy) (Pumpkin, skulls, owls)

Make your orders by emailing thefearlessmovement@gmail.com (Shipping is available and so are custom orders)

Always praying for my readers...Stay fearless,

Xoxo,

Ashley Kulikowski

Founder and CEO of Fearless Movement

Comments

Popular Posts